Monday, February 2, 2015

Museum Experience

I went to The Museum at FIT. The exhibition displayed various pieces like purses, dresses, skirts,and written drafts. This particular dress caught my attention. Around the dress there were both drafts and copied dresses. To the right of the dress there is a licensed copy of the Pierre Balmain evening dress. This evening dress has a similar feather design. The next dress to the right of this dress is another unauthorized copy of a dress. One the other side of the dress I find interesting were four sketches of coats and dresses designed around 1950s.
The dress which attracted me was a licensed copy of Pierre Balmain's "Angel" evening dress. The feathers are hand applied. I was drawn to this piece because of how light and it looked. Despite it being designed during late 1940s, it looked like a dress that can be worn today. This piece reminds me of a wedding gown because of its layered fabric and feathers. COmpared to the more high class or vintage looking pieces I found this piece more "soft" to the eye like a princess of a fantasy. 
I did not know anything about the piece prior because I do not research about fashion so I did not know who Pierre Balmain. However, from the exhibition, I learned that a Cuban department store named Orcilia created the copy of this dress. Cuba was the 2nd largest importer of couture after U.S. at the time of when the dress was created which was from 1946-1947. 


The museum did not allow any type of photography or video so I brought the brochures as proof that I went to the museum.


This was the notes I took at the exhibition.

5 comments:

  1. I love the dress, it very attractive and elegant. I agree with you that it can be wear today for ceremonies or wedding or any important event. It was cool that the feather was hand applied, wonder how did the artist did this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so pretty! People don't really think of fashion as being art, but it really is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the dress looks very elegant. I think the color makes it look a bit old, but I like how it looks vintage. I wonder how long it took for the designer to put the feathers on himself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dress is very nice. Even though it was made almost 70 years ago, it was expertly done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really pretty dress! I think it is cool that you were able to see all the steps in the design process.

    ReplyDelete